Convert rectangular and oval duct geometry to a equivalent circular diameter - online calculator with imperial and SI-units
Picture Frames Select from a wide variety of picture frames using the picture frame filters on these pages. Shape choices include: oval frames, round frames, rectangle, antique octagon, hexagon, heart, cathedral and more. Additionally, each shaped picture frame is available in dozens of colors, profiles and sizes resulting in tens of thousands of unique picture frame options. The rectangular ones look cumbersome, difficult to clean and an overall pain. If I'm right they may just be a passing fad. I think the oval shape is a classic that is so functional that it will withstand the test of time. I'd be tempted not to buy a house because the sinks are rectangular!
The equivalent diameter is the diameter of a circular duct or pipe that for equal flow gives the same pressure loss or resistance as an equivalent rectangular duct or pipe. A round shape results in lower pressure drops and less fan horsepower to move the air and, consequently, smaller equipment.
The equivalent diameter of a rectangular tube or duct can be calculated as (Huebscher)
de = 1.30 (a b)0.625 / (a + b)0.25 (1)
de = equivalent diameter (mm, inches)
a= length of major or minor side (mm, inches)
b= length of minor or major side (mm, inches)
- Hydraulic diameter - the 'characteristic length' used to calculate the dimensionless Reynolds Number
Example - Equivalent Diameter
The equivalent diameter of a 300 mm x 500 mm rectangular duct can be calculated as
de = 1.30 ((300 mm) (500 mm))0.625 / ((300 mm) + (500 mm))0.25
= 420 mm
Rectangular to Equivalent Circular Duct Calculator
The calculator below is based on formula (1). The formula is generic and any unit can be used.
Equivalent diameters for some common mm rectangular duct dimensions:
Oval Rectangle Mirror
For full table with larger dimensions - rotate the screen!
|Circular equivalent diameter - de(mm)|
- a -
|Duct side - b(mm)|
print equivalent diameter diagram!
Equivalent diameters of some common inches rectangular ducts:
For full table - rotate the screen!
|Circular equivalent diameter (inches)|
- b -
|Length - a - (inches)|
print equivalent diameter diagram!
Oval Equivalent Diameter (Ellipse)
Flat oval ducts have smaller height requirements than round ducts and retain most of the advantages of the round ducts. Fittings for flat oval ducts are difficult to fabricate or modify in the field.
The equivalent diameter of a oval duct or tube (ellipse) can be calculated as (Heyt & Diaz)
de = 1.55 A0.625 / P0.25 (2)
A = cross-sectional area oval duct (m2, in2)
P = perimeter oval duct (m, inches)
The cross-sectional area of an oval duct can be expressed as
A = π a b / 4
a = major dimension of the flat oval duct (m, in)
b = minor dimension of the flat oval duct (m, in)
The perimeter of an oval duct (ellipse) can be approximated to
P ≈ 2 π (1/2 ((a / 2)2 + (b / 2)2))1/2 (2b)
Oval Rectangle Shaped Blue Pill 250mg
Equivalent diameters of oblong ducts or pipes can be expressed as
de = 1.55 (π b2 / 4 + a b - b2)0.625/(π b + 2 a - 2 b)0.25 (3)
Note! - equivalent diameter is not the same as hydraulic diameter. The hydraulic diameter express the rate between the area section of the duct or tube, and the wetted perimeter of the duct or tube. Hydraulic diameter is used to determine if the flow is laminar or turbulent and to calculate the pressure loss.
- Fluid Mechanics - The study of fluids - liquids and gases. Involves velocity, pressure, density and temperature as functions of space and time
- Ventilation - Systems for ventilation and air handling - air change rates, ducts and pressure drops, charts and diagrams and more
Oval Rectangle Chandelier
Oval Rectangle Face Shape
- Air Ducts - Friction Loss Diagram - A major loss diagram for air ducts - Imperial units ranging 10 - 100 000 cfm
- Ducts - Diameter and Cross-Sectional Area - Circular ducts and cross-sectional areas
- Equivalent Diameter - Rectangular and Circular HVAC Ducts - Equivalent diameter for rectangular and circular ducts - air flows between 100 - 50000 cfm
- Equivalent Length Method - Calculating Minor Pressure Loss in Piping Systems - Pressure loss in piping systems by using the Equivalent Pipe Length Method
- Friction Head Loss in Air Ducts - Online Calculator - Head loss or major loss in air ducts - equations and online calculator for rectangular and circular ducts - Imperial and SI units
- Fuel Oil Storage Tanks - Dimensions of fuel oil storage tanks
- Hydraulic Diameter - Hydraulic diameter of pipes and ducts
- Rectangular Ducts - Commonly used Dimensions - Metric dimensions of commonly used rectangular air ducts in ventilation systems
- Rectangular Ducts - Hydraulic Diameter - Hydraulic diameter for rectangular ducts - metric units
- Smaller Rectangles within a Large Rectangle - The maximum number of smaller rectangles - or squares - within a larger rectangle (or square)